Friday 6 May 2011

Meditation tip #1

I've already talked about the benefits and healing properties of meditating, but am yet to give you some of my tried and true methods (for me anyway) if you are new to the practice.

This method is perfect if you have never meditated before. It is simple, and can be practiced almost anywhere.

Sit in a position which is comfortable for you (or lie down if this feels better), close your eyes and breathe slowly in and out.

Count each breath with both the breath going in and the breath going out until you reach a count of 50.

I.E. breathe in....1
      breathe out..2
      breathe in....3
etc...

The only thing you need to think about is the breathing and the counting. At the end of the count of 50, you will feel refreshed and relaxed.

I teach this meditation method to my students as a part of the exam preparation techniques with a great deal of success for them. While you focus on breathing, it allows all other thoughts to be in abeyance for the time being (I challenge you to think about anything else while you breath and count).

If you would like to know more about the benefits of breathing for health rather than just living, feel free to check out the post Breathing to Heal".

Happy meditating.

No comments:

Post a Comment