Wednesday 4 July 2012

"Potentially" limiting

One of the things I know for sure is that words most definitely do have power! We think and write in words and we create. As I was saying yesterday, this means that is is worth taking note of the words and the types of words we are using everyday. 


One of the words I have the MOST problem with is "potential", I know, I know, this seems like an innocuous enough word right? Not really.


When you are talking about yourself in terms of "your potential" you are describing a state of being, or a state you "can be" if you choose; this is the context in which I have heard it said most often. Using the word "potential" seems to me that there is a definite amount that we have or don't have, it seems to me, that the use of the word "potential" actually means that we can go so far, but no further than that. Even if you are using the word to describe something far higher, better, stronger etc than your current way of being and seeing, it still implies that at some point, you will have reached a limit where you can go no further.


I have used and in some instances continue to use the word "potential" because it is an awesome way to "crow bar" someone out of their comfort zone in order to help them...for myself though...I don't need to see outside the box, or discover my true "potential", I prefer to focus on the intent that there is no box.


With love and light
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment