Wednesday 8 August 2012

Perception is EVERYTHING!

I was reminded again today, and in fact I am often reminded of this concept, that the way we view the world, the way we perceive people, places and situations, will MOST DEFINITELY determine what we receive and the lessons we take.

It's not just as simple as seeing the glass half full....that's really only the surface. Teenagers are really great educators, the lessons they deliver though, can be a little more than you bargain for. There is one particular person I work with who is certain that our students are "delinquents" and that there is nothing else that can be done for them. My first response is, "What is your basis of comparison?" since the ones I am working with now are some of the best behaved students I have taught; but more to the point, the answer is, "Of course they are!" No matter what you expect, you WILL get it. Needless to say, the students show their less angelic side to this person ALL the time, they are intuitive, and know what is expected of them, and they dutifully fit that mould. The same students are beautiful for me most days. I walk up to every lesson and greet them with "Good morning/afternoon cherubs" and guess what? They show their angelic side. I make no bones about my expectations, and am VERY clear on the consequences for not meeting those consequences. Intuitively, students KNOW...and they meet my expectations.

No matter what the situation, no matter who or what it involves, you WILL get what you expect from it/them. So why not keep on expecting (NOT wishing...EXPECTING...there's a big difference) the very best?

With love and light
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment