Monday 19 November 2012

Committment

Often over the last few days I have had cause to look at the things I am committed to and also the process through which I make commitments.

Obviously, (or maybe not to some) the commitments we make to ourselves should be our first priority. It is when we are ignoring these commitments, or haven't made any at all, that the world starts to unravel a bit.

I LOVE my friends, I really do, they are more than just friends, they share a part of me that not everyone gets to see. However, I also know, that at times, totally unbeknown  to them, they can take advantage of me. This is not a malicious and nasty thing, in fact, if we were to play the blame game (not one I choose actually) then it would be all down to me since we teach people how to treat us. It is through me saying "yes" when I feel "no" and vice versa, that these things happen.

Periodically, and it seems now is one of those times, *smile* I take time to review the commitments I am making to myself. One of the ways I choose to do this is to sit down with pen and paper and write a set of wedding vows to me. Sounds weird? Think about it this way, wedding vows are the commitments you make to a person you love with your whole heart, body and soul; they are the most important person in your world and you wish to publicly acknowledge that right? Otherwise, why would you marry them? Well then, YOU are the same, precious and beloved being and your commitment to yourself should be no less heartfelt and genuine.

In neglecting this part of our contract with ourselves and our divine team, we are expressing to the universe that what we want, what we need and who we are don't matter as much as other people! This is not the message I wish to send out. The result is that people will inadvertently  and overtly take advantage of us and ask more than we are willing to give.

So, on that note, I am going to sit down right now and write those vows to myself, starting with some REALLY important ones:


  • I promise to respect my personal boundaries, acknowledge that I am a perfect and divine being and that I have the right to say "no" when I need to without feeling guilty.
  • I promise to believe that what I need and who I am is important and to take time out for myself.
  • I promise to only say positive things about myself and show the highest regard for me as a person.
  • I promise to forgive myself when I make mistakes, and know that next time, I will do the very best I can.
  • I promise to acknowledge that while sometimes I do not live up to my own expectations, that I am doing the best I can do with the current skills I have, and I will not punish myself.

There are more, but I thought I would share the ones at the top of my list.

With love and light
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment